The Xcel (previously known as PREP OP) Optional Program is designed to offer a broad-based, affordable competitive experience outside the traditional Jr. Olympic Program to attract and retain a diverse group of athletes. The program gives young gymnasts an opportunity for:
- Class students to participate in organized gymnastics events.
- Those athletes who have competed in the USA Gymnastics Jr. Olympic Program and have qualified to Level 7 or above but need a more basic introduction to optional competition.
- Those athletes who have competed in the USA Gymnastics Jr. Olympic Program at the Compulsory level and
would like to experience a basic optional program during their “off” season; while they train skills to move up in the JO Program, if they wish.
- Those athletes who have either “retired” from the Jr. Olympic Program or do not wish to train or compete at Level 7 or 8.
- Athletes not previously involved with USA Gymnastics to enter the program.
As with all of the competitive teams, admission is based on invitation after being evaluated by the team coaches